Charles Catterall Leach was born in 1855.
He worked initially in the Bedlington Collieries and was manager of the Seghill Colliery, owned by R.Laycock & Co between 1888 and 1921.
He became a student member of the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers in 1874; an associate member in 1881 and a full member in 1883. He later became a Council member and Vice-President in 1911. He was President of the Institute between 1921 and 1923.
He contributed a paper, published in the Transactions of the Institution of Mining Engineers (Vol XXIV) ‘Corliss-Engined Fan at Seghill Colliery’ and also contributed to a paper in Vol XXIII, ‘Tapping Drowned Workings at Wheatley Hill Colliery’