Robert William Glass was born in Whickham, near Gateshead, on 4 July 1878, educated at the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle and then apprenticed to Hannington and Co. at South Derwent Colliery. He gained his First Class Managers Certificate in 1902 and was appointed under-manager at Kimblesworth Colliery.
In 1907 he became Manager of Axwell Park Colliery, owned by Priestman Collieries and later was also Manager of Blaydon and Watergate Colleries owned by the same company. In 1930 he moved to Shotton Colliery as Manager, and later Assistant Agent.
In 1942 he joined the Regional Controller’s staff of the Ministry of Fuel and Power and when it was absorbed by the National Coal Board in 1947 was in charge of licensed mines, mainly in Cumberland and Northumberland and retired in 1948.
Glass joined the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers as a student in 1899, became a full member in 1907 and was President of the Institute from 1933 to 1934.
He also was Vice-President of the Institution of Mining Engineers in 1933-36 and president of the North of England Branch of the National Association of Colliery Managers in 1924-26.
He was a member of the Mines Department’s Safety in Mines Research Board from 1930 to 1938.
As a young man he was a keen rower and later was a churchwarden in Whickham.
Robert Glass died on 16 August 1958.
Glass, R.W. Endless-rope haulage at Axwell Park Colliery Transactions – Institution of Mining Engineers 21 1900-01, 167-178
Glass, R.W. Presidential address [NEIMME] Transactions – Institution of Mining Engineers 86 1933-34, 61-
(These notes are based mainly on the memoir by Arthur Walker in Transactions – Institution of Mining Engineers 118 1958-59, 418.)